Celebrating the 50 Year Jubilee of Holy Trinity Parish War Memorial Church (1965 - 2015)
The church used by the parishioners of Holy Trinity Parish is located on the corner of Randle and Bennalong Streets in Granville. Holy Trinity Parish is part of the Diocese of Parramatta.
The current church is not the first church of the parish; in fact, it is the fourth. The history of the current church goes back to 1960 when parishioners, under the guidance of Father Patrick Brennan (Parish Priest between 1953 - 1968), formed a committee to investigate the possibility of erecting a new church on the site to replace the existing church which was opened in 1908. This still stands on the corner of Randle and Grimwood Streets and is known as Mackillop Hall.
The foundation stone of the new church was blessed and laid by Cardinal Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney, on 23 May, 1965.
The following images were taken on this day. In the first image, Father Patrick Brennan, Parish Priest between 1953 - 1968, is seen behind Cardinal Gilroy while in the second image, he is seen to the left of Cardinal Gilroy. In 1960 parishioners, under the guidance of Father Brennan, formed a committee to investigate the possibility of erecting a new church on the site to replace the existing church which was opened in 1908.
On 28 November 1965, the Auxillary Bishop to his Eminence Cardinal Gilroy, the Most Rev J P Carroll, blessed and opened the church.
The Church on its Opening Day on 28 November 1965. The old presybytery (now demolished) is seen to the left with the building between the presbytery and the church now forming part of the Primary School
The church was dedicated to the memory of members of the three armed services who gave their lives for their country during World Wars I and II. Because of this, the church is also known as the Holy Trinity War Memorial Church.
Throughout its history, the church has had design changes. One of the earliest changes was the inclusion of the secondary altar in front of the main altar to allow the celebrant to say Mass facing the people. A railing separating the Sanctuary from the rest of the church was also removed. Both of these changes were the result of changes bought about by Vatican II (1962 - 1965).
1968 image showing the original altar and railing surrounding the sanctuary. This image, taken three years after the Church was opened, shows the high Altar prior to the altar being moved to it's present location in 1971
Colour aerial view of the Church taken late 1970s - early 1980s
This image of the sanctuary was taken in 1994 and shows the sanctuary decorated for Palm Sunday
The year 2009, however, saw extensive refurbishment occurring. Under Father Paul Roberts, Parish Priest between 2008 - 2011, the church was fully refurbished with a foyer built below the choir loft at the back entrance of the church and the original timber flooring restored and polished. Repairs to the outside roof of the church were also undertaken to repair leaks that had allowed water to enter the church.
The current sanctuary
Prominent features of the church include the trinity symbol hanging from the roof above the main altar and the roof made from Tasmanian oak.
An external change to the church was the erection, in 2014, of an awning over the main entrance doors during the time Father Clifford D'souza was Administrator of The Parish. This was done to provide cover from rain or sun for marriages and funerals and to serve as an area where parishoners can gather and have morning tea after Mass.